Beauty Bridge

Saturday, September 11, 2010

I used the lemons

A couple of days ago I posted about all the different uses for lemons.  The research I did for the post prompted me to get some lemons since they had so many uses.  I got a half-dozen lemons and ended up using them in a way I hadn't planned.  Since I learned that lemons cut grease, I ended up using them to clean up my kitchen stove.  You might be wondering "Don't you always clean your stove? What's the big deal?"  Well my kitchen stove is circa 1930's Monarch wood stove.  During the summer, I use a propane hotplate and an electric roaster.  Since fall came early, our annual routine of cleaning out the kitchen stove for it's seasonal inagural use came yesterday.  However, since I always put the propane hotplate on top of the stove for summer, the surface was caked with grease and food particles from a season of cooking.  This posed a special problem though.  Cleaning the surface was not a matter of just spraying with 409 and wiping it clean because as soon as the stove heated up, there would be fumes from whatever I cleaned it with.

Ah, the lemons!  After scraping up the worst of it, I squeezed the lemon juice all over the surface.  The lemon juice cut the grease after must squirting an wiping.  And the kitchen smelled wonderful.  And yes, BTW it was nice to have my stove back.

No comments:

Post a Comment